What do I do if my child is absent?

All absences must be cleared within 72 hours or they become truancies. Please email sgarcia@cusd.net to report an absence or you can send a note signed by the parent/guardian stating the date(s) of and reason for absence.  If you have any questions regarding your student's attendance, please 805-684-4107

What if I have to pick up my student early?

Please plan ahead and send a note with your student to give to the Main Office in the morning.. The student can go to the Main Office to pick up their off campus pass during nutrition or lunch.  You DO NOT need to come in to sign your student out if you have sent them with a note or emailed as their pass will be ready and waiting for them to pick up. They can then meet you out front.

We do understand that there are emergency situations where you may need to have your student pulled from class immediately, but please remember that this is very disruptive to the learning environment so sending them with a note is the preferred way.

Can my child leave during lunch?

CHS is a closed campus.   Senior students who have met the requirements for an OFF CAMPUS PRIVILEGE PASS may leave campus immediately at the start of lunch, but shall return in time to attend their next class.  The OFF CAMPUS PRIVILEGE PASS application must be signed by the parent or legal guardian or parent having legal custody by court order. The pass must be approved by administration. Reminder: Per Ed Code 44808.5: “Neither the school district nor any officer or employee thereof shall be liable for the conduct or safety of any pupil during such time as the pupil has left the school grounds.”

What if my child is sick and needs to come home from school?

A student who is ill MUST be checked out through the Main Office. For safety reasons, if your student texts or calls you directly from their cell phone to tell you they are not feeling well, please tell your student to tell their teacher and ask to go to the Main Office.

Can an 18 year old student excuse their absences without parent permission?

Yes, under California Education Code 62012 for purposes of any procedure for verification of absences from school, a student 18 years of age or over, with respect to his absences from school, shall have all the responsibilities and powers which, in case of a minor, would be charged to the parent, guardian, or other person having charged or control of the minor.” 

Can an 18 year old attain educational rights ?

Yes, once a student turns 18 years old, he or she holds his or her own education rights.

How do I contact my student's teachers?

Each teacher has a voicemail/email that is listed on our webpage.  In addition, when you call the main number (805) 684-4107, you can follow the directions to dial-by-name the teacher and access his or her voicemail.  Many teachers regularly use their email addresses and prefer that for communication.  Please allow 48 hours for the teacher to respond to your call or email. If there is a delay in response, please contact the Counseling Office and they will assist you in reaching the teacher.

How do I get my Aeries log-in and password?

Parents of students new to CUSD should receive the log-in at the beginning of the school year. Contact Ms. Bea Sibaja, Principal’s Secretary, (805) 684-4107 for assistance.

Where do I bring items my student forgot? 

While we strongly suggest that students take responsibility for their school work, P.E. clothes, instruments, and lunches, there are occasions when something needs to be brought to the Main Office.  Only items delivered by parent will be given to students. Items cannot be delivered to students so please be sure your student knows you are leaving their belongings in the office.

Where do I send medicine and medical notes?

All medical notes and medicines, even over-the-counter drugs, must be brought to the Main Office with the proper paperwork signed by your physician.  There are some exceptions allowing a student to carry items, such as epi-pens, diabetic supplies and inhalers, but the proper paperwork must be submitted and carried with the item(s).  Notes regarding health matters that impact P.E. participation should be given to the student's P.E. teacher and counselor.

When should parents call the counselor, the assistant principal, or the principal?

First of all, concerns with teachers must first be addressed to the teacher. Please allow 48 hours for the teacher to respond.  You may contact them by phone or email.  All teacher information can be found in the "Staff Directory."

If you have a question regarding your student's overall academic progress, course selection or social concerns, please call the Counseling Office and ask for the counselor assigned to your student. 

Counselors are available to see students during Support, Nutrition, and Lunch.  A student can also leave a note to see their counselor and they will call them in when they are available. 

If you have a concern regarding discipline or campus safety, please call  Ms. Kirsten Neumann, Assistant Principal.

Safety is a top concern of Carpinteria High School, and we want to take every step to ensure a proper learning environment.

What is there to do besides academics?

ASB has approximately 15 different clubs.  Check out the list of clubs, and if students can't find one they like, they can create a club for just about anything. 

Dances held during the year include MORP, Homecoming, and Prom. 

Athletics include three seasons of sports and year-round Cheer.  You can see a full list of all sports under “Athletics” on the website. 

The CHS Master calendar will have additional information.